Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
James H

Floppy Joe
Reply with quote  #16 
As it's mirror flat I've been teaching the dog to swim and doing a bit of carving in Cotswold limestone. This is the piece I finished today.

[a1uEFDT] 
piskian

Floppy Joe
Reply with quote  #17 
Beauty!I,m off Thurs,we can carve sumpin down west if you,re about.
G

Magic Towel Meister
Reply with quote  #18 
Ansome. [smile]

G

Floppy Joe
Reply with quote  #19 
Right on [thumb] Maybe carve some veggies for a Thai curry
stu

90 Degrees and Flying
Reply with quote  #20 
Great,intrigued with the process.
S.
James H

Floppy Joe
Reply with quote  #21 
Hi Stu. Mostly hammer and chisel really. "Pitching" off excess with a larger tool at the start > using a "point" chisel all over to create the form, depth etc. > working it all round with different claw chisels to establish the faces, bowl and planes > "chamfering" with firesharp steel chisels to create the workable surface (instead of tungsten chisels which I find sometimes too aggressive for soft limestone) > all over rub-down with carborundum stones to remove all tooling marks > Electroflex rub-down > wet n' dry papers > Finishing touches > Job done.

Some of these steps can be done with angle grinders fitted with cup wheels, vanity blades and other abrasive tooling. However it's all doable and fairly fast with chisels if your technique is efficient.
stu

90 Degrees and Flying
Reply with quote  #22 
Great stuff James
Always hugely impressed by sculpture, but it is also the process that integers the amount of work involved from rough to smooth and to keep the line,looking back in history from huge granit egyptian figures to Hepworth,has always fascinated and amazed at detail and finish.
Your work looks superb
S.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!